Experience Mexico City like a local and eat your way through one of its most vibrant markets: Mercado Jamaica. Located just southeast of the Historic Center the mercado has existed since the 19th century as an open street market when canals still ran throughout the city. Not only does this traditional Mexican market boast an array of incredible eats, but it’s also a 24 hour flower market. On this tour you will stroll through aisles packed with piñatas, seasonal fruits, vegetables and flowers all while snacking on pre-Hispanic Mexican street food, green chorizo tacos and typical Mexico City style quesadillas, among other tasty treats. We´ll also look at essential Mexican ingredients and how they are used, talk with local vendors and learn more about the history and structure of the market. After a 3 hour stroll through the maze of food, produce and flower stands you´ll end your tour with a full belly and greater understanding of Mexican flavors and food culture.
**During the 3 hour stroll in the Mercado Jamaica you will:
– Understand the structure and design of a traditional Mexican market
– See, touch, taste and smell a variety of Mexican antojitos (street food)
– Learn about essential ingredients used in Mexican cuisine
– Marvel at the endless flower stalls that Mercado Jamaica is famous for
– Meet and talk with local vendors
**Duration: 3 hours
**What to bring:
– An empty stomach!
– Close-toed walking shoes
– Change for bathroom stops
– Water (there will be one beverage included on the tour)
We will meet up at a coffee shop located in the Condesa neighborhood and then take the metro to the market.